This is from my old blog, The Geekie Hellenist.
These are the Libations to Aphrodite. I get most of my info from ‘In Praise of Olympus: Prayers to the Greek Gods’ by Hearthstone and ‘Old Stones, New Temples’ by Drew Campbell.
1) Purify the Altar area.
2) Take the barley and say, “As it was done in ancient times. I purify and cleanse this altar with this barley. With this barley I purify this altar and space so that I may give offerings, libations, and speak with glory and respect the gods of Mt. Olympus.”
3) Light a candle and say a hymn to Hestia.
Hestia, you who guard the sacred shrine of the Lord Apollon. The far-darter at goodly Pathos. With soft oil dripping ever from your locks. Come now to this house, come having one mind with Zeus the all wise-draw near, and with all bestow favor upon my song.”
Prayer to Hestia
Hestia, gracious goddess who sits at the heart of each home, who lives in the heart of each one who reveres you, each one who holds you dear, each one who turns to you for strength and harmony.
Hestia, goddess most needful, goddess most serene, goddess most esteemed, the heart of the city is yours as well, great goddess; within your realm are those who serve the state, who work for all the good of all–your blessings fall on the honest, goddess, your wrath on the corrupt, on those who betray their trust for gain. Defender of the householder, guardian of the hearthfire, Hestia, I praise and honor you.
4) Let Aphrodite know that your here. Say, “Aphrodite, hear me, ‘ then lists her titles (Sea-born, She Upon the Graves, and On the Sea). Of course you can use any of her titles that I have listed in the ‘Titles for Aphrodite’ section. State why your here, which is to give her her monthly libation that’s due to her, and if she’s done anything in the past. Include any offerings that you have given to her or any deeds that you have done in her name.
5) Do the Invocation to Aphrodite.
“I call to Aphrodite, goddess without peer, daughter of the deep sea, daughter of the broad sky, foam-borne goddess, golden goddess, holder of hearts, inspiration of desire both carnal and refined.
Mender of torn bonds, renewer of old loves, your promise a flame we cannot help but touch, your power a torrent we cannot withstand, your will a need we cannot resist.
Goddess, with sorrow and with fury, with patience and with compassion, with pain and with delight, we follow you, for in your realm that risk is great, and on your path the stones do we shift, and in your bower the thorns draw blood, but in your hands we know of love, and ah, the blessings you bestow exceeds the agonies by far.
Aphrodite, dearest goddess, I honor you.”
6) Do hymns to Aphrodite
Of Cytherea, born in Cyprus, I will sing. She gives kindly gifts to men: smiles are ever on her lovely face, and lovely is the brightness that plays over it.
Hail, goddess, queen of well-built Salamis and sea-girt Cyprus; grant me a cheerful song. And now I will remember you and another song also.
7) Do a prayer to Aphrodite
Aphrodite, glory of Olympos, golden one, incomparable goddess, born of seafoam, borne on the ocean’s waves until you found fair Cyprus’ sandy shore–your beauty by god or mortal unseen, your power over heart and mind unknown, your touch unfelt, your voice unheard.
All things, all life, all men and women incomplete without your presence.
Aphrodite, who sees the truth within us, who gifts us with what we need; beloved Aphrodite, dear one, blessed one, who holds us close, whose gentle persuasions overcome out doubts and fears, whose hand in the world we see in one another, we praise you, we honor you, we delight in your gifts.
8) Offer Incense to Aphrodite.
9) Pour Libations to Aphrodite, saying, “With this Libation, I honor you. Oh goddess of love, sexuality, and many other things that makes life wonderful.
10) If you want to, pray to Aphrodite.
11) End the ritual with a prayer to Hestia.
“Hestia, goddess of home and hearth, to you I offer last of all as a pious mortal should. Tend to those whom I love and guard the houses of the pious. As the gods will it, so it shall be.”
It is so!
Dump the entire container that you’ve poured your wine or grape juice into outside and then that ends it.